Tuesday, August 9, 2011

3" Tanooki Suit Super Mario Vinylmation + Koopa Shell (SOLD)

ACTION PICS AT END OF POST LOL  
One of my favorite video game series of all time - like countless other gamers - is Super Mario Bros. And out of those games, I must have played a thousand hours of Mario Bros. 3! In this game, you could find outfits for Mario to wear that gave him special powers. This custom is based on the incredibly awesome Tanooki (raccoon) costume from Mario Bros. 3, and helped Mario to fly!!! A pretty basic cartoony paint job for Mario on this custom. I also wanted him to have a detachable raccoon tail in case he had to be stored in a tight space. To achieve this I used 2 rare earth magnets and a Dremel. First I dremeled a 1/4" wide, but 1/8" shallow hole on Mario's backside. Next I sculpted the tail with Aves Apoxie and embedded one magnet into the end of the tail. By the way while I was sculpting the tail I hung it by magnets from my metal lamp to not leave fingerprints on it when it dried - yeah that was fun. After that I glued the second magnet into the hole I dremeled, and WHAM - removable tail! Mario uses so many things in his game environment, so I thought it would be fun to give him at least one accessory! I used a spare Vinylmation head to make this turtle (koopa) shell. I sculpted a ridge around the head to look like the shells in the game. I painted half of the shell red and the other half green to represent a few of the different koopa shells you encounter. The ears I painted a sky blue. On the bottom of the shell I painted arm, head, and tail holes. Also painted some eyes to make it look like the koopa was ducked in his shell scared. Left the neck hole unfilled in case I want an interchangeable Mario head just for kicks!  


The shorter version: Mario's body - blank white Vinylmation 
Mario's raccon tail and koopa shell ridge - Aves Apoxie 
Koopa turtle shell - Pluto's Sweater Vinylmation head repainted 
Rare earth magnets used for detachable raccoon tail


WORK IN PROGRESS PICS:






FINISHED TANOOKI SUIT MARIO:
























No comments:

Post a Comment