Thursday, March 22, 2012

6" Mechanical Mickey Vinylmation

I was going for a simple, but fun mechanical design here.  This custom is a mash up of different toy parts.  I used a 3" pink blank Vinylmation, a McFarlane Creech figure I got for a buck, and various smaller toy parts.  When all was said and done, this figure measured in at 5 and 7/8".   

STEP 1 - Chop Shop
I did some operating on the Creech figure, and discarded his upper body.  Then off with Mickey's feet!  A razor blade, kitchen knife and hair dryer are my tools of choice here. 

STEP 2 - Assembly and Sculpt
Next I glued the parts together, and connected a robotic arm (still movable) and waited for everything to dry.  Then I sculpted everything you see in white to add some robotic looking features.  Thought a pop of orange would break things up, so Mech Mickey is holding a glowing orange rock.

STEP 3 - Paint Apps & Clear Coat
After waiting 24 hours for the apoxie sculpt to cure, I took this metal hunk of Mickey outside to paint.  I used 2 coats of Krylon Chrome spray paint over the entire figure.  I waited another 48 hours before I took him back outside to spray him with a couple coats of Krylon Crystal Clear (flat).
 

Work in Progress Photos:














No comments:

Post a Comment